Real Estate Investing
Does your home look like it could use a little TLC? If your house looks a bit the worse for wear, one of the things that you can do that will improve the value of your home so far as financially, as well as make it more user friendly is to renovate. Renovation doesn’t have to be full on months worth of work. It also doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. Home renovation is among the fastest and probably the easier way to make your home worth more.
Home renovation doesn’t need to be a complete overhaul, it can be something as simple as redoing the bathroom. Most people believe that the bathroom doesn’t bring much value with it when it is renovated but nothing could be further from the truth. The bathroom is second only to the kitchen when it comes to improving the value of the home. You needn’t add a swimming pool or complete a room addition in order to bring a real return on your investment.
The bathroom renovation, adding some luxury items such as heated towel bars or stone baths, may not cost an arm and a leg but will in fact give you two or three times the return on your investment when you sell your home.If you’re interested in adding the items that can do the most good, you may want to consider vanities. Brisbane to Melbourne, a new bathroom vanity will bring you a new look and style that can make your home more in demand. Additionally, take a look at some interesting bathroom accessories such as bathtubs. Brisbane bathrooms can all benefit from a new stone bath.
The way your bathroom looks can actually dictate the speed with which your home sells. If you’re interested in learning more, take a walk through the products available to you from http://bathroomwarehouse.com.au.
Selling real estate rentals isn’t like selling houses. You can paint a house, and get a little more because it looks nice. Rental properties, especially larger ones, are different, because they’re bought by investors, who look at income more than new paint. Raise the income, and you increase value to investors.
Time to learn about capitalization rates. If investors in your area expect a capitalization rate of .08 it means they want a net return (before loan payments and taxes) of 8% on the purchase price. So if your three-plex generates $12,000 net income annually, they’ll value it around $150,000 ($12,000 divided by .08). If you can make it generate $16,000, you make it worth $200,000.
More Income From Real Estate Rentals
Raising rents is the obvious way to boost income, if you can justify it. See what similar units are renting for. If your units are $60 below the going rate, you can raise the rents and not lose your renters. Increasing the rent $60 for three apartments means $2160 more net income annually. With a .08 cap rate, you just added $27,000 to the value of your property.
There are other ways to raise rents. Maybe your tenants will agree to $30 more per month if you have a carport built. That’s $1080 more net income annually, meaning roughly $13,500 more value added to your property. ($30 x 3 units x 12 months = $1080 divided by a .08 cap rate = $13,500) If you can build that carport for $4,000, that’s a good return on investment right? What else do they want?
Higher rent isn’t the only way to get more income. Storage sheds can be rented to tenants or you could put in a coin-operated washer and dryer. With a larger income property, you could install pop machines.
Reduce Expenses Of Real Estate Rentals
Could you add insulation to reduce the heating costs? If you’re paying $80/month for lawn care, will one of the tenants do it for $40? Could you buy cheaper insurance? Any way you can reduce expenses raises net income (unless it scares away tenants). A new $4,000 furnace that saves $800/year on heating costs means you just turned $4,000 into a $10,000 higher sales price.
This isn’t an exact science, and of course appearance and other factors matter. Increasing that net, though, is the surest way to get more for your rental properties. Make the changes at least several months before you try to sell the property (a year before, if possible). Also, learn how do the math – it really does matter with real estate rentals.
Consider Deer Valley vacation rentals the next time you are visiting Utah. This picturesque vacation spot is located in the Wasatch Mountains and is the perfect place to vacation, any time of the year.
Starting Georgia real estate hunt with a real estate agent
Georgia is a wonderful place to live in. No wonder you have decided on picking up Georgia real estate for living-in or investing. Your Georgia real estate hunt can quite easily start with looking for the real estate prices (i.e. average prices) so as to gauge what kind of house and location will fit your budget. This is assuming that you have already estimated how much you can afford to spend on that Georgia real estate piece that you are so much after.
With little effort you can easily find out the Georgia real estate prices. You can do this in a lot of different ways. One way is to directly give a call to a Georgia real estate agent and ask him about what kind of house you can get within your budget (if you are looking for Georgia real estate for investment purposes). In fact, a lot of people find it easier to just make a call to the real estate agent and get a grasp of the going prices for properties in any place let alone Georgia.
Now, as mentioned above, if you are looking for Georgia real estate piece as an investment option, then you would start with checking out what you can get for your budget. However, if you are looking for Georgia real estate because you actually want to live in Georgia (and enjoy your life), then you would be better off starting with your most basic requirements from a house e.g. you could specify a 1 bedroom house or a condo or whatever, if that is the minimum space you would need to be able to live in comfortably with your partner or your family etc.
If you cannot get that basic house in the location of your choice in Georgia, you might have to rethink and figure out other options (e.g. not going for Georgia real estate at all, or picking up a house at another location in Georgia, or waiting for some more time before you can actually own a Georgia real estate piece etc).
So evaluation of affordability is important. Here, we are not saying that you should not evaluate the affordability factor if you are looking for Georgia real estate for living in and not investing. It’s just that you will need to pose the question differently to that Georgia real estate agent. In any case, you should never reveal your real budget to that Georgia real estate agent.
Mention an amount that is lower than your real budget by 10-20% even if your Georgia real estate insists on what maximum you can spend. For a person who is looking at Georgia real estate as an investment avenue, the Georgia real estate agent is just a way to find out the going rate, he will have to use other real estate investing techniques to find the best deal.
So your Georgia real estate hunt can easily start with just calling up a real estate broker.
There are many methods for building fortunes in the world today. One of the most accessible even for the common entrepreneur however is real estate investing. In fact, you will find many rags to riches stories are built by investing in the real estate marketing in one form or another if not many methods for investing in this lucrative but risky field.
Real estate is a great strategy for the investor who is willing to make the time to learn about the options, risks, and potential rewards for this type of investment process. Some of the more common real estate investments are the following:
1) Rental property. Property ordinarily gains value over time unlike many other investments that may rise and fall quickly and without warning. The problem is that far too few people can actually afford to hold and maintain multiple properties over an extended and indefinite period of time while waiting for the value to rise. Many property investors manage to overcome this by renting the properties to tenants during the time when the property values are rising. This allows the tenants to essentially cover the note on the property and makes the venture a little less risky though there are risks involved when dealing with tenants (such as property damage, failure to pay the rent, and possible legal woes-the good tenants generally outweigh the bad).
2) Pre-construction investment. This is a highly speculative and very risky sort of property investment that has booms and busts. Many investors recently discovered exactly how risky this endeavor actually is when the property ‘bubble’ went bust so to speak. The risks involved in this type of investment should not cover up the fact that many millionaires have been created through pre-construction investing and many more will be created in the future. Pre-construction investing, just as its name implies is a type of investment in which investors purchase ‘options’ on the property before ground is broken. This is very popular in high demand areas that are known to experience housing shortages as prices often rise quickly and the units are often sold before they are completed and any ‘real’ money exchanges hands.
3) Flipping houses. This is a type of property investment that has made leaps and bounds in the last few years thanks to the popularity of many popular home improvement and house flipping shows on cable networks in the last few years. More and more people have decided to pursue this sort of investment in hopes of creating big profits in a short amount of time and with minimal investment. The problem, of course, is that it always looks much easier on television than it is in person. Couple this with the fact that many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to costs and ability and there are plenty of risks involved with this type of investment as well. For those who are successful however, there is the potential for great profit in a relatively short amount of time as these televisions shows indicate.
4) Buy and hold. As mentioned above, real estate tends to gain value over time. Even if the buildings are in desperate need of TLC and repair the very land they are standing on is more often than not gaining value as the years pass by. Purchasing large lots of land or even several houses and holding on to them for as long as possible before selling can often fund college educations for children, pay for weddings, or greatly supplement retirement funds. The longer these properties are held the better in most cases as this provides the greatest opportunity for the value of the property to increase.
5) Lease options. There are few people in this world who never experience rough spots financially. Many of these people are denied traditional home loans because of their inability to cover debts properly in the past. For this reason they are often willing to pay for the privilege of rebuilding their credit while working towards a path of home ownership. For these people, a lease option presents a workable and often valued solution. Those investors who are willing to take the risks often find the rewards are well worth those risks.
6)Investing in vacation properties is not the best use of your investment dollars but it can lead to a lifetime of great vacations. Places like The White Buffalo Club in Jackson Hole Wyoming or Whistler Premier in BC Canada can make the perfect investment if that investment is in memories.
These are only some of the investment opportunities that exist for those who are interested in real estate for an investment avenue. There are commercial real estate endeavors that have the potential to bring in big profits as well as the development and planning of housing communities as well. Needless to say real estate investing offers many opportunities to the savvy investor.